March 27, 2009

TRANQUILITY OF A SEWING ROOM

After three of my five children moved out, I had the good fortune of being able to turn one of the spare bedrooms into my sewing room. Now, my house isn't a mansion by any means, nor is it fancy, newly renovated or remodeled...just a plain 1950's ranch style home...but it is comfortable, warm, and it welcomes me home every night after a long day's work. After dinner, I like to unwind and retreat into my "room". After the business of a hectic day, it is wonderful to be able to sit and relax. Like most of us who love to create, it is so comforting to be able to surround ourselves with items that we hold dear to our hearts.

My antique bears are constant companions. They stand guarding my room when I am away. Next to them is my 6-drawer thread holder. I have amassed quite a collection of thread over the past few years...I'll probably not live long enough to use them all! Above the bears, hanging on the wall, is a game board made by my late father-in-law. He made it back in the 50's when he and my mother-in-law would have game night with friends. I believe the game was "Aggravation" or "Sorry". It's not the most beautiful or creative board, but it is very special.

On the opposite wall, I have items that are within easy reach...candlesticks for making pincushions, reproduction and antique pincushions, jars full of buttons, pins, and rubber stamps. If you look closely, you can see two pairs of antique children's shoes. Front and center, is a little statue of a nurse bear. My daughter bought this for me when she was only 6 years old, when I graduated from nursing school. So many treasures, so many memories..comfort food! I hope you all have a room or a corner where you can create and spend some quiet time...

1 comment:

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I love having a sewing room. After reading the title of your post, I realize my room is anything but tranquil! I need to give it a good cleaning; maybe then I'll be able to concentrate more on my projects. Thanks for the inspiration.