February 25, 2009

Antique Thread Boxes

I just love antique thread boxes! I have also heard them referred to as sewing boxes, spool holders...whatever the name...they ARE so charming! I love the fact that they were made for women to lovingly hold their sewing necessities..be it needles, pins, fabric, threads. These were and still are, such sewing needfuls! Each box has their own personality and could probably tell a story or two about the women who used them each and every day. Most of them were hand-made or "make-do" pieces probably as a gift to a mother or a young lady just beginning her needlework journey. These little treasures are getting more difficult to find. Over the years, I have picked these two boxes up at flea markets here in Michigan. I have had them displayed in my living room and now they rest quietly in my sewing room. Too many curious little hands wanting to "touch and explore" them! If any of you have these little sewing necessities, I am sure you treasure them as much as I do!

3 comments:

Kathy (woolfind) said...

You definitely found yourself a couple really nice thread boxes! Love them!! I don't blame you for keeping them in your sewing room. I haven't had the good fortune of coming across any, yet.....
Thanks for sharing!

A Bit of Colour said...

Very nice boxes, & dovetail. They were probably hard to find.

pammyjo said...

I just came across your blog. Wonderful fun place to drop in. You thread boxes are delightful. I've searched for one for quite sometime now. Thanks for sharing. Now I'm on a mission to find one. Thanks for the great visit. :o)